Saturday, December 15, 2007

slumber party


Tonight my daughter had a slumber party for her 10th birthday, and it wasn't bad, aside from one obnoxious kid. The above picture was from a previous slumber party, this one was much louder, but I don't know that I have ever seen Emma have so much fun, so it was worth the noise. It is almost 1am and I can still hear them in the other room talking and watching High School Musical. This stuff is new territory for me, I wasn't a sleepover type of kid.
I really don't have anything to say about it, but I feel like at least one of them should be asleep before me, and I need to kill a little time. The nicest part of the night for me was sitting on the couch with Katie (she actually snuggled) and watching The Princess Diaries. Jack got so tired that he put himself to bed. Billy wanted to sleep out with the girls, and was upset when his dad wouldn't let him, so I took him upstairs and laid a sleeping bag on the floor of his bedroom, and read him Curious George books until he fell asleep.
I liked being a parent tonight, sometimes I forget to like it. I always love my kids, but sometimes I get so wrapped up in the daily grind that I forget to enjoy it. At the beginning of the night it was looking pretty grim, Mike actually managed to have three out of four kids crying a half an hour before the party started (that's got to be some kind of a record), but we pulled it out.
All in all it was a good night, I even managed to write and submit a really half-assed paper, while a houseful of kids ran around burning off their sugar buzz. Tonight I feel blessed.

1 comment:

Mike Greiner said...

"these are the good old days . . ."