Saturday, December 15, 2007

low standards

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The other day I went to a meeting at my daughter's school to discuss science fair projects, and left perturbed (I'm starting to notice a pattern with this). The woman at this meeting was a first grade teacher and regular judge at the science fair, and the entire time I was there I had to fight back the urge to correct her English.
English was not a second language to this woman, she has clearly spoken it her entire life, only with very little care. She interjected the word "like" into just about every sentence, along with frequent "you know's" and "stuff's." At one point she ansered a question with the response, "That don't work."

How does someone get a job as a teacher wihtout ever bothering to get an education?

There is a one in four chance that this woman will become my son's first grade teacher next year (or at least a one in four chance that I will have to go to the school and tell them I don't want her to be my son's teacher). I am sure this woman is very nice, but I don't think that it's a good idea for the person that is supposed to teach our kids the ins and outs of the English language not to have a very good grasp of it.

The system just don't work! (Yes, I know it's doesn't, but it was for effect.)

4 comments:

Mike Greiner said...

OMG! Like, that is so lame! So, like, what we did, you know, was, sent our kids to private schools!

julie hoye said...

We, like, totally did that for awhile, but it like got too expensive.

Jess said...

you're just trippin',it aint nothin to worry about.I had me a teacher like that and look how gr8 I turned out! She'll learn them kids real good. We're on the plane in three hours, this was my last email check! chow!

Mike Greiner said...

okay, this is not a joke. when I was in the 7th grade, I had a teacher who introduced the days assignment (multiplication) with these words:

"We be timin' today"