Wednesday, January 23, 2008

silliness


I have spent the last while listening to my girls argue about Star Wars, it started when Katie asked the question, "If Luke and Princess Leia are brother and sister, then why isn't Luke a prince?" This led to several other questions that I didn't have the answer to, about whether Padme was, or was not a queen. I was left wondering who Padme was, because I have only seen the original trilogy, and really am not geeky enough to know the answers. I have to start remembering them and ask my friend Jess' husband, who I'm sure will know how the Star Wars lineage unfolds.

I was saved from this conversation when they went outside to do a rain dance, and becasue it is, in fact, about to rain, I am sure they will come in believing that they made it happen.

I took the boys to lunch today at Macaroni Grill, and as we were leaving the waitress waved at Jackson, he told me that it was because she thought he was so handsome, and then informed me that girls really like handsome boys. I am thinking that we might have to tone down the stroking of his ego, may the force be with him.

The girls just came back in to tell me that their rain dance worked, did I call that one, or what?


"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you?"- Yoda

I wonder why guys like Star Wars so much.

10 comments:

Brutus said...

Julie. Glad I am that my help you asked.

Padme was, in fact, a queen. But that has nothing to do with Luke and Leia. Padme was an elected Queen of the Naboo, and the youngest queen ever elected at 14. So the Naboo had a democratically elected Theocracy, as opposed to a Constitutional Lineage Monarcy like England. After serving her term, she actually declined a request to change the Constitution to have her serve another term beyond the current maximum.

Fast forwarding... Padme and Anakin marry in secret, Padme is elected to the Repulican Senate, she gets pregnant, hides it throughout Episode III (Anakin knows), never has an ultrasound so no one knows she is having twins. Anakin thinks he kills Padme because he thinks she betrayed him. But she was not really dead, just mostly dead. But Anakin didn't know that. Obi-Wan saves her, brings her to Yoda, she has the kids and dies of a broken heart, because, as the Medical Droids say, "there is nothing physically wrong with her." Obi-Wan takes Luke to Tatooine, because Anakin (Vader) would never think to look for his children where he grew up. Senator Bail Organa takes Leia to Aldarran, a peaceful planet, and somehow Bail becomes King and Leia becomes... ta da... a Princess. Luke becomes a farmer with dreams of the stars and Obi-Wan becomes Ben, the "crazy old wizard" that Uncle Owen thinks wants Luke to go on "some fool crusade." Now you are up to speed.

Why do guys like Star Wars? Lasers, swords that cut through anything, guys in invincible scary armor, dogfights in space, and women with no bras. Because, in the words of George Lucas to Carrie Fisher, "there are no bras in space."

Jess said...

yeah....and that dead-on Yoda imitation is a big hit in the bedroom....

Brutus said...

PS. All from memory.

Mike Greiner said...

I was going to post that Star Wars is stupid.

But then I read Brutus' reply and I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

Oh, what the heck.

Star Wars is stupid. What morons would use a saber when they could use a gun? please. And the little swamp frog? and the fighting teddy bears? And Anikan the cry baby? and Luke the cry baby?

I'd rather watch the food network than star wars.

Opinion, just mine, it is.

julie hoye said...

Brutus- impressed am I.
Jess- funny, but will not comment further.
Mike- totally disagree, at least as far as the original trilogy goes, they were space westerns, and yes kind of stupid, but so is Monty Python, nothing wrong with stupid for the sake of fun. I don't get the the whole Lord Of the Rings movies, where they were just hours of people walking.

Brutus said...

If you haven't seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0sc-gS9AqM

Jess said...

Oh, my goodness...Star Wars, stupid??? Let's just blast Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny while we're at it or kick some cute little Ewoks. It's for kids!!! I just happen to be married to a really big kid.

Mike Greiner said...

okay, all you loser nerds who don't know how stupid star wars is, time to grow up.

That's right. throw away the return of the jedi sheets that are still on your bed!

The fighting teddy bears are a joke. seriously!! the great big walking shooter robot things? you have that much invested in war technology and you come up with that? how about jets or something? or can you only fly in space.

Chewbacca? should be hunted, eaten and made into warm coats.

Julie --stop insulting westerns.

I hate to talk so tough, but sometimes we need tough love in our lives.

And Jess, I would never blast Santa. He could kick booty on them Ewoks, and I guarentee you he would if he ever got the chance. You should see Santa's powers!

Jess said...

Ummmm, well, if you don't like Ewoks then why do you have a picture of one there??? JUST KIDDING!! but just in case, don't sic Santa on him by accident...;0)

julie hoye said...

Hey Mike,
She's right, you're dog does look just like an ewok. That's funny.