Monday, August 25, 2008

another school year...


The kids went back to school a few weeks ago, and we are finally getting back in the swing of things. Hard to get used to waking up again after spending an entire summer teaching the kids to sleep until 10am.

Billy started kindergarten, which is bittersweet, because he is the last to go, but also now I have time to actually get something done. He seems to really like it, and everyday, when I pick him up he tells me what he had for lunch, and shows me his new spork. The other day I went to pick him up and the first words out of his mouth were, "Mommy, today I had a corn dog with honey. Bees make honey. How do bees make honey? They had beans today, but I didn't eat them because they were green?" That is a little dose of the everyday pickup conversation, just change the food items.

Katie and Jack are settling in nicely, same school, different teachers, all is well.

Emma started middle school, and she seems to be doing well with it, I think the whole idea is harder on me than it is on her, I can't believe that she can be old enough to go to middle school.

After the first week, she comes home with a backpack full of books so heavy she had to keep stopping to rest on her way home, and those were for only half of her classes. I can't believe they have kids hauling this stuff around and don't even give them lockers. That night I went out and got her a very high quality rolling backpack to try and ease her load.

Today, Emma comes home and she is carrying her big binder in her hand because she got four more books, and there wasn't room for them in her backpack, and even with the rolling backpack she comes home exhausted. When she walks in she is exasperated and says, "That's it, I'm not bringing my textbooks to school anymore." I ask how she can do that, doesn't she need them for class? Her response, "No, they keep a copy of them under our desks."

She has been taking 60lbs. of books to school everyday for no reason, and I have been ranting about how awful they are for 2 weeks. It cracks me up that she can be so smart, and so absentminded at the same time, apparently this was the first that it occurred to her that not everyone was hauling all of their books around. It is absolutely impossible not to love that girl.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I can't believe my youngest nephew is old enough to be in Kindergarten!! That is amazing!! Glad to read they all seem to be adjusting well. Hey we both have middle schoolers now!! Aww Emma...to cute!! Same with my 2 older ones..lots of books but thankfully they have a set at school to use and they keep the other set at home. Shannon started last week and loves it. She is in Honors Biology and her 4th year of Spanish(1st two was middle school)Not to crazy about aerobics class though!! The boys start next Tuesday!! Hugs to the kiddos...

Mike Greiner said...

Julie, why are you blogging only? You are a born writer. If you have more time, write more. You are funny and real. A true blessing to read.

love
mike

julie hoye said...

Thanks Mike, that's a huge compliment. I am however a math major, which can really just suck the personality right out of you, not a lot of whimsy down that road.
As each class gets harder and harder (I noticed by the way, that in math, the smaller the book, the harder the class)I may rethink the whole thing and become the next Erma Bombeck.


I haven't trusted polls since I read that 62% of women had affairs during their lunch hour. I've never met a woman in my life who would give up lunch for sex. - Erma Bombeck